Help, Guides, and News on making the Switch To Apple Macintosh Computers
In a May 22, 2011 article posted at Fortune, Philip Elmer-DeWitt highlights Charles Wolf's (Needham & Company) analysis of the Mac's striking growth. Wolf's note, titled, "What a Streak", uses a series of data and charts sourced from IDC data to demonstrate how Mac sales growth outpaced Windows PC growth in the first three months of 2011.
Digging into the numbers we learn:
- The Mac has outpaced Windows PC growth for 20 consecutive quarters.
- Mac shipments grew 27.7% year over year in Q1 2011 (Apple's fiscal second quarter) versus a 1.2% decline in total PC shipments.
- Mac sales grew faster than PC sales in every regional market.
- Asia, Mac shipments grew 69.4% vs. Windows PC growth of 8.8%.
- Japan, Mac shipments grew 21.1% vs. Windows PC decline of 16.1%.
- Business market - Macs shipments were up 66% versus 4.5% for Windows PCs.
- Government market - Macs shipments were up 155.6% versus 2.3 for Windows PCs.