Piper Jaffray: New To Mac Buyers on the Rise

« Previous article.
Next article. »

Dec
12

By: switchtoamac at: 2:12 PM on December 12, 2006 | Comments (0)

A December 11, 2006 post at MacNewsWorld discusses some analysis undertaken by Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster and the firm's discussions with Apple value-added resellers (VARs).

The firm's research indicates that VARs are experiencing a rise in customers who are "New to Mac" and the data suggests that approximately 25 percent of buyers purchased their first Mac.  Note that the VAR numbers are significantly below Apple's own retail store "New to Mac" number of 50 percent over the past several quarters.

The MacNewsWorld article quotes the following from Munster:
"Apple specialist stores have a lower new-to-Mac average given they typically serve more of the professional users and existing Mac faithful customer base. We see, therefore, the 25 percent new-to-Mac number at these stores as a fairly high number"

Munster also stated that 60 percent of the interviewed VARs expect Mac sales for the three months ending in December to be higher than those in the preceding three months which ended in September.  The other 40 percent were either expecting Mac unit sales to decrease or remain flat over the same period.

You can read the entire article here.

Switch To A Mac Commentary
Through various posts on this site, I've stated that I expected Mac sales to accelerate during 2006.  One such comment is in the linked post in the second paragraph.

It's clear that Apple is experiencing interest from customers who have historically purchased PCs.  This trend will continue for the foreseeable future and will likely accelerate in 2007.

Speak your mind - Leave a Comment