Help, Guides, and News on making the Switch To Apple Macintosh Computers
Mac Box Set now available - Amazon offers $20 discount (updated)
With the availability of iLife '09 commencing today from Apple and several Apple authorized resellers, Apple has updated the status of the Mac Box Set from 'Ships: January' to 'Ships: Within 24hrs'. With the Mac Box Set, buyers can get iLife '09, iWork '09, and Mac OS X Leopard, in a single box.
The Mac Box Set is a package offering that bundles the following Apple software:
- Mac OS X v10.5.6 Leopard operating system
- iLife '09, featuring the new iPhoto '09, iMovie '09, GarageBand '09, iWeb '09, and iDVD
- iWork '09, Apple's productivity suite for home and office including Pages '09, Numbers '09, and Keynote '09
Amazon offers $20 discount
If buyers are willing to wait for Amazon to announce availability, a $20 Pre-order discount brings the Mac Box Set down to $149, a 12 percent discount off the $169 retail price. At $149, buyers save 48 percent off via the bundle versus purchasing the software separately. Furthermore, the $149 price is cheaper than purchasing iLife '09 and iWork '09 at their respective $79 retail price. Thus, it's a no-brainer to buy the Mac Box Set as you save $9 and get a copy of Mac OS X. The only downside is that you'll have to wait until Amazon announces availability.
Update: Amazon now shows that the Mac Box Set is "In Stock".
Mac Box Set System Requirements
- Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
- 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
- High-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM.
- Approximately 14GB of available disk space
- DVD drive required for installation
- QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included)
- iMovie requires an Intel-based Mac, Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster)
- Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible third-party DVD burner.
- GarageBand Learn to Play requires an Intel-based Mac with a dual-core processor or better
- iChat requires a compatible camera. Video chatting requires a broadband Internet connection
- AVCHD video requires a Mac with an Intel Core Duo processor or better.
- 24-bit recording in GarageBand requires a Mac OS X-compatible audio interface with support for 24-bit audio.
- Some features require Internet access and/or MobileMe
- iPhoto print products are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and select countries in Europe and Asia Pacific.
- Flickr service is available only in select countries.