Help, Guides, and News on making the Switch To Apple Macintosh Computers
Apple's Mac OS Market Rises to 5.39 Percent - Up 31 Percent Year Over Year
Please note that this does not mean that Apple's market share is 31 percent. The number represents percent increase. Data used in this post has been obtained from market research firm Net Applications (Market Share). The total Mac OS X market share number comes in at 5.39 percent.
Based on the firm's calculations the following metrics can be calculated.
Key Percent Increases
- Up 58.1 percent since January 2005
- Up 53.1 percent since April 2005 (Mac OS X Tiger launched April 29, 2005)
- Up 28.0 percent since January 2006
- Up 3.5 percent since October 2006
- Up 14.2 percent since September 2006
The November 2006 Key Percentages outpaced the growth reported for October 2006 which were as follows:
- Up 52.8 percent since January 2005
- Up 48.0 percent since April 2005 (Mac OS X Tiger launched April 29, 2005)
- Up 23.8 percent since January 2006
Below is an updated view of Apple's Mac OS market share month by month for calender year 2006 up to and including November 2006. Pay careful attention to the numbers because Market Share splits Mac operating system data into two groups, Mac OS and MacIntel. MacIntel represents Intel builds of Mac OS X Tiger. Have a look at the November 2006 data. Mac OS is reported to have 4.10 percent of the operating system share while MacIntel is reported to have 1.29 percent operating system market share. When the numbers are combined, we get the following (Internet Explorer users may have difficulty viewing the images. If so, click 1, 2, 3). You can click on each image to get a larger view:
Mac OS X Intel Posts 15.2 Percent Increase In One Month
The data shows that Mac OS X Intel experienced a 15.2 percent increase as it's share rose from 1.12 percent in October 2006 to 1.29 percent in November 2006.
November experienced a slowdown in it's monthly change versus the prior four months. November marked the first month in the past five where growth did not accelerate however, the monthly change still grew by a respectable 3.5 percent. It's just another indication that the number of Mac users has expanded in the past month. Apple Computer is now in the midst of the 2006 holiday buying season.
About Market Share
The following is taken from the Net Applications site:
"This data provides valuable insight into significant trends for internet usage. These statistics include monthly information on key statistics such as browser trends (e.g. Internet Explorer vs. Firefox market share), search engine referral data (e.g. Yahoo vs. MSN vs. Google traffic market share) and operating system share.
We use a unique methodology for collecting this data. We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on demand network of small to medium enterprise live stats customers. The sample size for these sites is more than 40,000 urls and growing. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is summarized on a monthly basis"
- Safari Market Share Rises to 4.03 Percent - Up 45 Percent Year Over Year
- Apple's Mac OS Market Share Spikes to 5.21 Percent - Up 35 Percent Year Over Year - Growth Accelerates
- Safari Market Share Rises to 3.93 Percent - Up 53 Percent Year Over Year - Growth Accelerates
- Apple's Mac OS Market Share Rises 26 Percent Year Over Year
- Apple's Mac OS Market Share Rises 24 Percent Year Over Year
- Safari Market Share Rises 48 Percent Year Over Year
- Safari Market Share Continues Upward Trend Up 46 Percent