Help, Guides, and News on making the Switch To Apple Macintosh Computers
Apple unveils iLife '08 with significant iPhoto and iMovie revisions
All new Macs will ship with iLife '08. Existing iLife users can purchase it for $79 US.
"Apple has taken iLife '08 to a new level that is years ahead of anything available for the PC," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We think iLife '08 gives Mac users even more reasons to love their Macs, and PC users even more reasons to switch."
Makes it easier to share photos via email, web, calendars, and cards. A summary of new features is as follows:
- Events - a new way to easily organize and manage rapidly growing photo collections based on dates
- .Mac Web Gallery - allows user to build online galleries using .Mac. Visitors can view and download gallery photos and add their own photos to the galleries using a Mac or PC. iPhone users can do the same too!
- Powerful new editing tools - A range of retouching tools and effects make editing like a pro a snap
- Unified Search - Makes searching through your iLife library simple thanks to name, keyword, rating, or date searches that show up instantly by Event
- New calendars and books - Larger calendars (up to wall size) and hardcover photo books
- Theme-based home printing - You can now print stunning photos based on Apple themes right from your home printer. You can add effects, borders, adjust layouts, and even enhance your photos.
Introduces an entirely new way for users to quickly make movies and share them online. The redesigned iMovie now uses a built-in library to automatically organize videos. The new iMovie makes it easier to browse the video library and make movies. Sharing your movies is now easier thanks to a new streamlined workflow that allows you to add movies to your website and YouTube. You can even make versions for the iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. The new "tell a friend" feature allows you to send an email announcement detailing your video once it's published to the web. iMovie supports high definition and standard video in addition to the following formats: DV, HDV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and AVCHD.
A key feature of GarageBand '08 is Magic GarageBand, a fun and easy non-musicians and musicians to create a song. Create recordings with 24-bit audio support and you can even print your music with simple notation printing. A summary of new features is as follows:
- Magic GarageBand - You can play in a virtual jam session or generate a project based on genre or performance style
- Arrangements - Easily create and reorganize project introductions, verses, and choruses
- Multi-take recording - You can now mark a region that can be repeated within your project
- Visual EQ - Easily adjust individual EQ bands by clicking and dragging
- Automation of tempo effects and instruments: Define numerous edit points within a track to automate EQ and effect changes
- New Vocals Jam Pack - Provides over 1,500 Apple Loops for vocals, more than 20 software instruments, choral ensembles, and drum kits built on the human voice and body
New features makes it easy to create stunning websites that represent you. You can choose an Apple provided theme and customize it with your own text, photos, movies, and podcasts. If you ever want to change the look you can switch themese with ease. A summary of new features is as follows:
- Web widgets - Quickly and easily add content from other sites, such as videos, stock information, weather, and news
- Google AdSense and Maps - You can now put interactive Google Maps and Google AdSense ads directly on you iWeb pages
- My Album pages - easily organize your photos and videos by simply moving and dragging to create an index web page
- Enhanced photo pages - place up to 500 photos per album and display them with various viewing options including auto-pagination
- Theme switching - switch the theme of any page with a simple click of the mouse. You can even mix and match themes within your site to give each page a unique look and feel
- Personal domain names - By leveraging .Mac, you can now give your iWeb site a personalized touch by using your personal domain name
It's now even easier to create your own DVDs to share with family and friends. You can use Apple provided animated themes to give your DVD style as you create a main screen and chapter selections. The iDVD themes can be used in widescreen (16:9) and standard (4:3) formats. A summary of new features is as follows:
- Ten new animated themes - Choose from over 150 Apple-designed animated themes, ten of which are totally new. Just choose a theme and drag and drop your videos and photos into drop zones
- Better performance - Quickly switch between themes, faster navigation, project previews, and smoother real-time playback are now available
- Advanced menu customization - You're in control thanks to the new drop zone editor, an expanded button library, and built-in alignment guides. You'll make perfect layouts with ease.
- Pro-quality encoding - The new professional-quality option in uses advanced encoding technology to give your DVDs the highest possible quality.
- Stunning slideshows - Create stunning slideshows using higher quality photos and video clips
- Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
- 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
- Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
- 3GB of available disk space
- DVD drive for installation
- QuickTime 7.2 or later
- High-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM.
- Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible third-party DVD burner.
- iPhoto print services are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan and select European countries. Internet access required; fees and terms apply.
- iWeb requires Internet and web server access (.Mac recommended).
- Some features in iLife require .Mac. The .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual membership fee and Internet access required. Terms and conditions apply.
- Other configurations may be supported. AVCHD video and 24-bit recording have additional requirements