Help, Guides, and News on making the Switch To Apple Macintosh Computers
Mac Pro details
The new Mac Pro models ship with a standard configuration of at least eight processor cores as well as a new system architecture that delivers up to twice the performance of its predecessor. The standard 8-core configuration starts at $2799.
The new models use two of Intel's new 45 nanometer Quad-Core Xeon processors running up to 3.2 GHz, powerful new graphics, and up to 4TB of internal disk storage. These systems offer creative professionals, 3D digital content creators, scientists, and enthusiasts the most powerful Mac ever produced.
Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing states that “The new Mac Pro is the fastest Mac we’ve ever made.”
According to Apple, the 1600 MHz front side bus and 800 MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM memory achives a 61 percent increase in memory throughput. Furthermore, the new processors have 12MB of L2 cache per processor. An ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card with 256MB of video memory is standard.
The Mac Pro now includes a new PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot that delivers up to twice the bandwidth of previous generation Mac Pro models and supports the latest generation of graphics cards from NVIDIA, including the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of video memory or the NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of video memory. The Mac Pro can support up to four graphics cards and can drive up to eight 30-inch Apple displays.
Every Mac Pro includes Mac OS X Leopard, the ultra-thin aluminum Apple Keyboard, and built-in Bluetooth 2.0 that makes it easy to use the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.
Pricing & Availability
The new Mac Pro is shipping today and will be available through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers.
The standard 8-core Mac Pro, with a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:
- two 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors with dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses;
- 2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM memory, expandable up to 32GB;
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory;
- 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
- 16x SuperDrive™ with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);
- two PCI Express 2.0 slots and two PCI Express slots;
- Bluetooth 2.0+EDR; and
- ships with Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
The Mac Pro offers flexible build-to-order options including:
- one 2.8 GHz, two 3.0 GHz, or two 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
- up to 32GB of 800 MHz DDR2 fully-buffered ECC memory
- up to four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm or up to four 300GB SAS drives running at 15000 rpm
- Mac Pro RAID card
- up to two 16x SuperDrives with double-layer support
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 graphics cards
- AirPort Extreme 802.11n
- Apple USB Modem
- Apple wireless Aluminum Keyboard
- Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
- Mac OS X Server Leopard
To learn more about build-to-order options visit the Apple Store.